ABOUT THE FESTIVAL:
The experience of the Elevate Youth Dance Festival is threefold.
- Adjudication Concert: Participants have the opportunity to perform in a solo/duet/trio or quartet choreographed by an instructor or themselves. These pieces will receive constructive feedback from dance professionals (adjudicators,) regarding their artistry, creativity, and technique. Families are invited to attend the adjudication concert to see their dancer perform free of charge.
- Master Classes: Participants have the opportunity to take master classes from dance professionals. These classes may illuminate something they hadn’t realized before about their own dancing or dance goals.
- Gala Concert: The evening Gala concert features student choreography professional dance performances by Twin Cities dance companies. Previous Guest Companies have included Black Label Movement, Kaleena Miller Dance, STRONGMovement, Alternative Motion Project, and more.
- Attendance to Gala concert is included in the registration for each festival participant.
- Open to the public at $10/ticket.
THE ADJUDICATION: WHY PERFORM?
The adjudication accepts solos, duets, trios, and quartets for feedback and consideration for inclusion in the Gala Concert. This emphasis on small group work is a defining feature of the Elevate Youth Dance Festival for the following reasons:
- When dancers learn small group choreography it gives them a chance to showcase their individual talents outside of large group dances.
- Small group dances give dancers a sense of ownership. You will see some of your less assertive dancers rise when they have something special to work on.
Solo/ Small Group Choreography Category
The Festival invites professional dance instructors and choreographers to create a solo, duet, trio, quartet or quintet work on their students and submit it in the adjudication concert. These pieces will receive feedback after the festival in the form of an audio file. For both students and dance instructors, this category offers an opportunity to grow creatively and represent their studio.
Young Choreographers Category
Our special category for student choreography is our trademark. This category gives young creators the chance to experiment with their own ideas and either choreograph a piece for themselves or set it on other dancers. Those in the Young Choreographer’s category will enjoy a special one on one live feedback session with one of the adjudicators. We encourage young choreographers to work with a coach from their studio prior to the adjudication. Coaches may attend the live feedback session as well.